"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than you." -Dr. Seuss

Sunday, August 8, 2010

TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF MY LIFE.............

I know it is corny, but at some point in a girl's life she has to take a stand, make a bold move and live life for her and nobody else!  I have decided that this is the year of Gretchen.  I am going to make decisions that best benefit me, I am going to do the things in life I have always been talking about, but have always found a reason not to do them.  God blessed me by giving me two amazing parents who have spent their lives sacrificing so my sister and I could experience things they never got to experience. It is time I honor them by taking advantage of the things life as afforded me.

Four years ago, I was transferred from Bluffton, SC to Towson, MD by my company.  My stay in Towson was only supposed to be temporary (6 months to a year).  I have used that as an excuse not to set up roots here.  Well.....no more excuses Ms. Gretchen.  On August 17th, I will be going to the MVA to get my MD driver's license and register my car in MD.  Goodbye South Carolina plates......hello Maryland plates.  I am convinced this is the first step to embracing my life and who I am at this moment.

I recently joined a Meetup group called Swirlistas.  Have you heard of Meetup.com?  Check it out.  There are tons of different groups you can join.  I found a group of women that like to get together and enjoy good food and wine.  Two things I happen to enjoy!

The point of this blog is to hold myself accountable.  I have no idea if anyone will ever read anything I am writing, but it is cathartic and gives me a reason to keep pushing forward.  I am finally at a place I can begin to let people back into my life that I have guarded myself against.  Nobody wants to be hurt and sometimes it is just easier to not let people in, but then you realize you really miss your best friend and you both always said it was the friendship that mattered to each other more than anything else.  Okay, I can admit it, I lost sight of that for awhile, but hey......when you love your best friend and you have such a strong connection, it becomes really difficult to redefine the relationship but keep the core of it the same.  Do you have anyone in your life like that? Do you have anyone that knows you so well that sometimes sitting in silence with one another is more meaningful than any actual conversation you could have?  Well.....Mr. Mr. has been that person for me for the past 10 years.  Wow...10 years.  Letting go of parts of our friendship is part of this journey....learning to embrace the remaining aspects is going to be challenging, but I am up for it.

Throughout my blogging experience, you will find updates from my Travel Wish List and "Bucket List".  I will post pictures of my experiences along with my thoughts.  I apologize now because I can be sort of long winded and for those who know me really well.......I tend to spend a lot of time in my own head figuring things out.

Hope you enjoy reading as I rediscover who Gretchen really is!

No comments:

Post a Comment